Thursday, July 31, 2014

WORD 2day: 31st July, 2014

Remembering St. Ignatius of Loyola: Doing it God's Way

Jer 18: 1-6; Mt 13: 47-53

Have thine own way Lord, have thine own way
Thou art the potter, I am the clay
Mould me and make me, after thy will
while I am waiting yielded and still.

What a beautiful prayer it could be for us to make this day, inspired by the reading from Jeremiah and by the life of the saint we celebrate today - St. Ignatius of Loyola! 'Every thing for the greater glory of God' - that was the watch word that defined the life and works of Ignatius. Docility to the will of God was a sure way to sanctity proposed by Ignatius. 

In the parable that Jesus tells us today about the Reign of God, he brings out a fundamental element of either belonging to the Reign or not belonging to it. The angels will separate the good from the bad; the wicked from the righteous; the docile from the obstinate; the obedient from the rebellious; the discerning from the naive. It is said the hymn in heaven is, "I did it God's way"; while in hell it is, "I did it my way." The secret is here: doing it God's way! Living our life in God's way!