Thursday, September 1, 2016

WORD 2day: 1st September, 2016

Everything belongs to God

Thursday, 22nd week in Ordinary Time
1 Cor 3: 18-23; Lk 5: 1-11

During the Eucharistic Celebration, post the Lord's prayer, there is a section where the priest prays 'save us from all distress'. In the old version of the missal, the words used to be,  'free us from all anxiety'. Some of my priest friends for sounding novel,  adapted and practical would change it as, free us from all needless anxiety... and I would pick an argument with them-  for a Christian every anxiety is needless!  Every anxiety is needless because everything belongs to God. 

No anxiety,  whether about eating or drinking,  life or death, success or fear,  nothing,  absolutely nothing is warranted if I truly believe in my Lord.  The Lord is in control... all that I need to do is my duties to the best of my abilities and leave the rest to God.  Call it Nishkama Karma, or detachment,  or Kantian categorical imperatives... be it what it may, the point is God  is in charge and I need not worry or be anxious.  It is a difficult mindset but the most liberating one.

No comments: