Tuesday, October 16, 2018

What I am deep inside of me!

Remembering St. Ignatius of Antioch

The WORD and the Saint
October 17, 2018: Gal 5: 18-25; Lk 11: 42-46


Can one be justified by faith apart from the works of law - this was, is and will ever be a point of contention. In the Old Testament times it was a contention between the 'conservative' and the 'progressive' rabbinic schools; in Jesus' times between him and the Jewish religious heads; in the times of the early Christians it was a contention between those who followed the Pauline theology and those who believed the theology of James; today it continues between the Catholics and the non Catholics! 

Needless to say our point of reference is Jesus: 'Don't put your trust in your capacity to achieve things and to gain control or dominance', warns Jesus, 'become like children!' That is primacy of faith! He also declared, 'when you did this to one of these little ones, you did it to me!' That is the necessity of works! 

What Jesus taught against was, empty ritualism, legalistic spirituality and hypocritical religiosity! St. Ignatius of Antioch, whom we celebrate today says that in very simple words, "it is not that I want merely to be called a Christian, but to actually be one. Yes, if I prove to be one, then I can have the name."

How do I prove, unless through my life! That is why we need the gifts of the Holy Spirit to bear the fruits of the Holy Spirit. But these are not some kind of rules and regulations and protocol to be fulfilled in order to merit what is called salvation! These have to be the signs, fruits, indications and the fragrance of what I am deep inside of me!

No comments: