Wednesday, August 30, 2017

SEPULCHERS OR TREASURIES

WORD 2day: 30th August, 2017

Wednesday, 21st week in Ordinary Time
1 Thes 2: 9-13; Mt 23: 27-32

A friend of mine once shared with me something that made me sad. He said, "I had great respects for priests, until I began to work in an institution run by priests. I could not withstand more than six months there. I wish I never went to work there!" When I asked him for a reason, he gave me half a dozen of those and they were all to do with values that were being compromised on a day to day basis. 

St. Paul challenges the Thessalonians, and even others to probe into his life and find out the true witness that he has always lived to be. That needs true courage, which comes only from an integral life. That is why I see the Word today proposing to us two imageries - Sepulchers and Treasuries. Sepulchers as we see at places, are beautiful, aesthetically adorned with marbles and designs but if we open them, they will be all full of decayed flesh and dry bones. Whereas Treasuries may look old and antique but the more deeper one gets, greater is the sense of wonder.

What does my life look like: a sepulcher or a treasury? Shouldn't I start working on myself?

No comments: