Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Neither death nor defilement!

WORD 2day: Wednesday, 5th week in Ordinary time

February 10, 2021: Genesis 2: 4-9,15-17; Mark 7: 14-23

Religious practices and principles abound in our contexts defining what is right and what is wrong; determining what is acceptable and what is unacceptable in the sight of God. The Word today has one such clarification as to what would make a person unacceptable in the eyes of God from a Christian perspective - it is neither death nor defilement.

Death is considered the peak of negative experiences by many religious traditions but not the Christian. Death is merely another milestone considering the totality of human experiences. It shouldn't perturb us or preoccupy us... the least, it should frighten us! For those who believe in the Risen Lord, death is but a transition, a passage, a moment of faith.

Defilement laws are seen as important religious factors in a society. What makes one socially acceptable or not, is a crucial religious parlance. But Jesus is categorical in stating that nothing of that sort - categories of acceptability and experience of defilement, exists in his Father's mind. The Father is all Mercy and compassion towards God's children!

So, neither death nor defilement can separate me from the Lord, but a deliberate choice does. I cannot live my Christian faith merely on customary practices and accepted mores. It is not so much about what I say and what I do, as about what I think and what I intend. It is there I need to make concrete and categorical choices, within me! I need to make those deliberate choices on a daily basis and at every moment of my life... choices that would determine whether I belong to God or no.

No comments: