Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Am I among the few?

WORD 2day: Thursday, 33rd week in Ordinary time

November 18, 2021: 1 Maccabees 2:15-29; Luke 19: 41-44

The very fact a few are mentioned among the Israelites who stood firm in their faith is an indication that a great number of them strayed away from it. It continued in Jesus' time too. Only a handful were ready and open enough to behold the unfolding of the promises of the Lord in and through the life of Jesus. And Jesus cries over the rest of the city. Not just the city at large, but his own close companions: 'are you going away from me too'... did he not ask that question?

The situation is no different today! There aren't too many who are totally convinced of what they believe and it is becoming more and more difficult to remain absolutely faithful to the truth not giving into any compromises. It is one thing to be unjust, arrogant and evil and do what I feel like, considering or respecting no one. But it is completely another thing to deceive people with my apparent goodness! I give an appearance to be the best of everyone put together; but only I know within me, how evil and how conniving I am! How many compromises and how many facades? 

That is why, the only one apart from God, who can say who I really am, is only myself! It is easy to find a fault on me and point a finger at me; it is also possible that no one finds anything wrong with me - both of these are not sufficient. The crucial question would be that, when I ask myself: The question is, do I belong to the majority who seem to be namesake followers or am I among the few?


No comments: