Friday, March 10, 2023

PEACE-LENT 2023 - Peace is belonging

The WORD in LENT - Second week, Saturday

March 11, 2023: Micah 7:14-15,18-20; Luke 15: 1-3,11-32


Yesterday we reflected on the assurance that God loves us... to say the Lord loves me is to trust in the goodness of the Lord; and to say I love the Lord is to dare to belong to the Lord. The former is far more easier than the latter which requires a great effort on my part to be true.

In the first reading today, Micah speaks to God with a right of a child who belonged to the Lord, though he acknowledges his own shortcomings. In the parable that Jesus narrates we have the younger son who fell short of perfection but soon realised that he belonged to his father. They both dare to declare to the Lord that they loved the Lord. It is from that sense of belonging to the Lord that true peace can be born. 

It was indeed very daring of the younger son to declare his sense of belonging to the father, which the elder son dared not do. He did not feel that sense of belonging to the father, though he lived all the time with the father. He was there right beside the father and had everything at his disposal, but did he have peace within! Was he capable of celebrating that moment? 

What a lesson to learn - it is not to be taken for granted that I belong to the Lord, just because I am most of the time around him. Even if I were to stray a bit away from the Lord occasionally, it is important to feel that strong sense of belonging to the Lord, only that will bring me back to him. Only that will bring peace back to my heart. 

Only in a strong sense of belonging to the Lord, can I have and celebrate the peace that the Lord alone can give! 

No comments: