Monday, July 15, 2013

WORD 2day

15th July, 2013

Just yesterday after the Sunday Eucharistic Celebration, when I came out of the Church, one of those who had participated in the Celebration, among many others, came over to me and wished me. He introduced himself and said he is from Srilanka! My feelings became a little mixed, frankly speaking, but i did not want that to take the better of me! He asked me whether I am from Calcutta!!! (He would have preferred it that way). And when I said, I am from Tamilnadu, I could see his feelings were mixed too! Though I did not wish to, he began a discussion on the prevailing problem between the Tamils and the Sinhalese in Srilanka and its repercussions in Tamilnadu. He then said, "its unfortunate that these problems are prevailing and it can never be justified on whatever ground that people are denied their fundamental right to live in peace!" and he added, "to what extent the inhuman selfishness of a small group of people can cause an havoc in the world!" One cannot but think of the prevailing situations of inhumanity, cruel hegemony, political manipulation, socio economic oppression and human right violations all over the world, when we read the first reading today! When we find ourselves in front of these suffering brothers and sisters, we cannot close our eyes or switch off our minds. No one can be neutral, in our own way we have to take our stand - that is what Jesus says in the words - "I have come to bring not peace but sword!" Our solidarity, our affirmation of justice and peace, our simple gestures of care and concern for the oppressed brothers and sisters, though it may appear to be like a mere glass of water, will be much rewarded in the Reign of God, because however simple, those gestures show that we stand for truth, liberty, peace and justice - in short - for the Reign of God!

No comments: