Thursday, June 14, 2018

Silence: the voice of a sound soul

Friday, 10th week in Ordinary Time

1 Kgs 19: 9a,11-16; Mt 5: 27-32

The Lord speaks not so much in a loud thunder or in a raging fire, but in the silent whisper in the depth of one's heart, where one knows for oneself whether he or she is right or wrong, virtuous or not, authentic or not! That is the moment of truth when one encounters the Lord in the sound of sheer silence. 

Making noise is the way of the world today! Even if you have no stuff, make noise to an extent that people believe, or at the least, are forced to accept what you have to say. Just look at the political scene today: those who make more noise and go around threatening others have a lot to hide and safeguard themselves from. Or look at the media today: making more noise makes one more powerful, or at least that is what they imagine!

The Word is bringing this tendency of the world to question: where is the truth, in shouting at the top of your voice or going to the depth of things? Who is right: one who proclaims himself or herself as true and goes about recklessly proving and defending oneself or in remaining calm and allowing your integrity to speak for itself?

I can proclaim something and live something totally different, I might preach something and believe in something totally opposite, I might profess something but internally be absolutely without any conviction...my heart is my judge, my soul is my mirror, my Lord is the only one who scrutinises me in Silence, in Silence which is the voice of a sound soul!

No comments: